Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Song of the Righteous is a Prayer unto Me

About 7 years ago I was driving in my car on a Sunday afternoon to Jared's house to spend the rest of the day with him. We were engaged at the time. I was singing along with the radio. It was a primary song. I remember thinking about the words and what a powerful message was contained in that simple song. I remember thinking how powerful those songs could be to my future children and that I should start singing to them at a young age, teaching them principles of the gospel through music.
Fast forward to present day. My beautiful little boys are put to bed every night with prayers, and hugs and kisses. And then after the lights go off we sing to them. We sing hymns and primary songs. Sometimes they hum or sing quietly along. Sometimes they just listen. But the point is they do listen.
I am so grateful for those primary songs and how they allow me to teach gospel truths at the tenderest of ages.
"I am a Child of God"
"Love is Spoken Here"
"Love at Home"
"I Love to see the Temple"
"I'm trying to be like Jesus"
I love knowing that when I close the door on my little boys, one of the last things they hear is their mother singing of love. That is a precious thought.