Friday, February 12, 2010

Confidence

"You've got to dance like there's no one looking,
Sing so they hear you near and far,
Making the most out of every moment,
Be happy being who you are!"

Okay, it might seem a little cheesy, but this is a song off one of Miles' kid music CD's and I love it!

Confidence in myself and my abilities has been on my mind a lot lately. Up until a few months ago I would have said self confidence and self esteem were things I struggled with. As it is I still fall into the trap of putting myself down too much.

About the time we made the decision to move overseas, Jared gave me a blessing which said that I needed to stop looking and relying on strength in others and start finding it in myself. I've really tried to take it to heart and ponder how best I should accomplish this.

In the past I've spent a lot of wasted energy being embarrassed or apologizing about things that I've said or done. These past few months I've had lots of people tell me how stupid or crazy I am for moving with my family to China. At first it was very hard to take, but as time has worn on I've been able to ignore the voices of the "world" and focus more on the promptings of the Spirit. As I have learned to tune out the opinions of others on this particular issue and focus on the will of my Heavenly Father I've found that I've been able to focus less on the other voices around me telling me I'm not of worth.

I've been thinking a lot about Matt 5:14-16
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your alight so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

In a way I think this scripture is talking about confidence. Not hiding your talents, abilities or testimony!

I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father's love for me and the knowledge that I am a beloved daughter of God. Just knowing and believing that makes all the difference.