Thursday, February 18, 2010

Converted

Alma 23:3,4
"3 And thus they might go forth and preach the word according to their desires, for the king had been converted unto the Lord, and all his household; therefore he sent his proclamation throughout the land unto his people, that the word of God might have no obstruction, but that it might go forth throughout all the land, that his people might be convinced concerning the wicked traditions of their fathers, and that they might be convinced that they were all brethren, and that they ought not to murder, nor to plunder, nor to steal, nor to commit adultery, nor to commit any manner of wickedness.
4 And now it came to pass that when the king had sent forth this proclamation, that Aaron and his brethren went forth from city to city, and from one house of worship to another, establishing churches, and consecrating priests and teachers throughout the land among the Lamanites, to preach and to teach the word of God among them; and thus they began to have great success."

As I said a few days ago, I have been reading about the sons of Mosiah missions to the Lamanites in my scripture study. These verses touched my heart, and made me think that it might just take a prominent person or persons in the Chinese government being converted to open up the gospel into China, just as it was opened up to all the Lamanites by their king being converted.

Our friend Penguin works for the Chinese government. Before we left Purdue we shared the Book of Mormon with him and his wife and he has been reading it ever since. He has a testimony of the gospel and he calls the church "our church." Jared and I both feel he is ready to get baptized.

In ready these scriptures it really made me think of him. I know he is just one person but everyone who joins the church has a ripple effect and I hope somehow his joining the church might someday influence the people he works for in the Chinese government.

I really hope and pray that in the next few weeks Jared can go to Hong Kong (the Shanghai branch is planning a temple trip) and that he can baptize our dear friend. I wish I could be there for it, but my heart will be there with them. I know I will be there when Penguin and Cindy are sealed to each other. I love them so much and look forward to that beautiful day.