Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Good Example

D&C 88:124 "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated."

I've been having some struggles with Miles lately.
For the past few months he has been fighting sleep. At first it was naptime, but now it has progressed to bedtime. He would keep going all night if he could. We have to flip the breaker or unscrew the overhear light because he will play all night.

I have agonized over this little parenting problem because it really affects his little cheery disposition. I would say he is fine four out of five days, but more than a little emotional. Then on the fifth day he crashes and turns into a terror.
The past two days were difficult with him reverting with potty-training and throwing a fit about absolutely everything.

Needless to say this has been the subject of quite a few prayers how I can be a better mom to him and help him overcome these behavioral problems.

Yesterday I was reading in my patriarchal blessing, as I have been doing more and more frequently during this difficult time with Jared away and not a lot of emotional support. I read something about being a good example to my children. It struck me that I was expecting my little boy to follow something that I was not doing myself( i.e. getting enough rest). I haven't gotten enough sleep since Colin was born over 5 months ago. I've justified it by always saying I have too much to do, but the truth is I haven't managed my time effectively because I am always exhausted.

I need to be a better example to my boys in temporal things as well as spiritual things. So I decided that I needed to start getting ready and going to bed the same time as my children do. I'm usually worn out by that time anyway and I don't really do anything that productive after they go to bed. While it might not work, I feel like it is worth a try. Nothing else seems to be working. If I can make this a good habit and start getting more rest, than maybe I will be able to get up before my boys and exercise and get more accomplished in the morning before I'm frazzled and worn out by the days activities.