Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Something from Jared's last email

My morning study has been based off of the “Preach My Gospel” manual for missionaries. Just the other day I read the chapter about how to manage your time and be effective. The manual identified “leading indicators” of missionary work. The counsel was to identify what these leading indicators are and then set goals to improve these numbers. However, the focus in not on a number but on people. It suggested that you review your daily activities and focus your efforts on those activities that improve these leading indicators and discard those that do not.

I decided that I should do something similar for my life. I came up with a few subjects and identified leading indicators. I thought that it might be good to identify some leading indicators of my spiritual progression. After thinking for a while, I seemed to come up with only two indicators:
1. The number of spiritual promptings received
2. The number of spiritual promptings followed

That was yesterday. Today after waking up I received the prompting that I should record every prompting that I receive and then mark whether or not I followed it. I think this will be an interesting exercise. I hope that this will help me to be more effective in following the voice of the spirit. I believe there are more indicators of spiritual progression, but I believe this is what the Lord wants for me at this time.