Monday, January 4, 2010

Because I have been given much

Two weeks ago Jared and I spoke in sacrament meeting. I just want to share a portion of my talk with you.
My heart is so full of love for my Heavenly Father and his goodness. Last week I was sitting in the temple and had the realization that all too often during my prayers I mostly express gratitude to the Lord for my material blessing and do not spend enough time being grateful for my spiritual blessings.
Brothers and Sisters, I want you to think about what blessing you value most in this life. I’m willing to bet that it isn’t your cars or your house, or your nice jobs. It’s our family relationships, our temple covenants and the redeeming power of the Savior’s atonement.
I want to read a hymn to you which has always held meaning for me, but has now taken on a deeper meaning as I have exercised more gratitude for these spiritual blessings. Emphasis and my own personal thoughts added. Please thing of your spiritual, not material blessings as I read this to you.

Because I have been given much, I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live(for it is by His Plan of Salvation that we are here);
I shall divide my (spiritual) gifts from thee
With every brother(not neighbor, not stranger, not foreigner) that I see
Who has the need of help from me(how else are they to receive the gospel if we don’t share it).

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care,
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share
My glowing fire(my testimony), my loaf of bread(Jesus, the Bread of Life),
My roof’s safe shelter overhead(the commandments of the gospel and the protection that they bring),
That he too may be comforted(Or given the gift of the Comforter).

Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again, according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need;
I’ll show that love by word and deed:
Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed