Monday, January 18, 2010

Just Smile

Tonight for Family Home Evening we read a story together out of the Friend Magazine. My mom got a subscription for Miles over a year ago and he loves it! It is "his magazine" and he loves being read to out of it.

Tonight we read "Just Smile" In it the little boy is told by his mother that all he needs to do to befriend a little girl who doesn't speak English is "just smile."

It is applicable to me because soon I will be in a country where I am going to be the one not understanding the language and I might have to use a lot of smiles to say, "hello," "thank you," or "sorry."

But also I think it was a reminder to me that sometimes that is all it takes to make a friend is a smile. I think sometimes in new situations I tend to hold back at first and avoid eye contact, because I am uncomfortable meeting new people. It's something I really need to get over, especially moving to a foreign country.

Just a cute little story and a tender little reminder to be more friendly.