Thursday, January 7, 2010

Come, Get Ready!

Yesterday I got out of the shower and all I wanted to do was climb right back in bed. So I did for a few minutes. Jared on his way out the door called back to me, "Come get ready."
I lay there for a little longer enjoying a few more minutes of laziness, but his words made me think.
Come, get ready
I don't know why but it made me think about the Parable of the Ten Virgins and how this is our Savior's invitation to all of us.
Matthew 25:10 "...the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage...
This morning almost the first thing Miles said to me was, "Get ready, Mommy, Get ready"
Sometimes it's so easy to just slink by in life, not doing anything wicked, but just being lazy as to spiritual things. I have been there more often than not. Jared and I have had discussions about how many times we do things that seem urgent at the time, but really are not all that important. Then there are things that are important but not urgent. Babies and children have a way of always being urgent and at the same time are very important. Our favorite t.v. show or a sports game is something that is very urgent, but is it really that important? Our daily scripture study and daily prayers are so very important but as they're not urgent, they often gets pushed aside by the urgency and deadlines of other things. Unless we make time for them they often get pushed aside again and again as we go about the day getting lost in busy nothings.

Modern prophets have communicated that the Parable of the Ten Virgins does not refer to the general populous, but to the members of the church.
“The ten virgins belonged to the kingdom and had every right to the blessings—except that five were not valiant and were not ready when the great day came. They were unprepared through not living all the commandments. They were bitterly disappointed at being shut out from the marriage—as likewise their modern counterparts [members today who are not prepared] will be” (President Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 8).
Come, Get ready
Just a reminder to myself to not get lost in the business of my days and forget to prepare myself spiritually.