Sunday, January 24, 2010

My change of heart

To an outsider looking in, it might appear that I have become somewhat of a religious zealot lately. I guess the only way for me to describe it is that I feel like for the first time in my life I've experienced a "mighty change of heart."

I have never before felt such a love for my Heavenly Father and my Savior, and such an earnest desire to serve them in all I do. I have always had a testimony, but lately I just feel something more; something stronger. A desire to serve my My Savior more fully and more faithfully. I think I'm finally experiencing what missionaries must have as they dedicate their lives to the work.

Mosiah 5:2
“Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.”

In the article "Preserving the Heart's Mighty Change" by Elder Renlund given in this past October General Conference, he discusses the concept of a heart transplant and the care that must be taken in order to avoid the rejection process. He likens this medical process to that of a spiritual process.

Quote:
"Indeed, equal, if not greater, care must be taken with a spiritually changed heart than with a physically transplanted heart if we are to endure to the end."

"How did they successfully endure to the end? We know that they were “distinguished for their zeal towards God, and also towards men; for they were perfectly honest and upright in all things; and they were firm in the faith of Christ, even unto the end.(Alma 27:27)”
Their zeal towards God likely reflects an eagerness to please God and worship Him with fervor and passion. Their zeal towards men suggests an ardent interest in helping and serving others. Being perfectly upright and honest in all things suggests that they held their covenants firmly and did not rationalize their commitments to God or man. We further know that they taught their children the gospel in their homes. We know that they buried their weapons of war, distancing themselves from temptations.
They must have frequently assessed the condition of their spiritually changed hearts. They did not simply assume that all was well. By figuratively examining their changed hearts, they could identify any early hardening or rejection and treat it."

These past few days have been stressful as I've dealt with feeding issues with Colin and juggling the remainder of things to be done before we leave. Consequently I've let some things slide. I want so dearly to maintain this "mighty change of heart." I know it is the way to peace and happiness in my life.