Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Good News

While staying at my parents house this past fall, Jared was given the opportunity to direct the Young Men/Young Women road show. On Friday Jared attended the funeral of one of those young men, who tragically ended his life early. He had a mental illness and had not been doing well for some time, but no one could have foreseen that he would do something that drastic.
In talking about his death with someone, that person expressed her pity for the family and expressed her opinion that the young man's family would never be able to get over it; that you just don't ever get over losing a child.
This conversation got me thinking. No offense meant to that person, but I don't believe the same thing. I believe that while his family may never stop missing him, that the good news is that they can be healed from this pain.
Please don't think I'm being callous or discounting the suffering of this family. Until recently I never understood how someone could suffer such heartbreaks and still want to go on living. I have never experienced that kind of a loss, but I have known considerable heartache lately. I have had days where I thought how could I go on when it feels like my heart would break from the pain caused by others words and actions.
The good news is that through our Savior and His Atonement, we can be healed from all pain and suffering. He has said (Matt 11:28-29) "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden...and ye shall find rest in your souls."
The good news is that because He suffered all things, we need not suffer (D&C 19:16).
The good news is that because Christ was resurrected, so too shall we be resurrected. (Mosiah 16:8) "There is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ."
The good news is that our Savior has sent us the Comforter (John 14:26) or the Holy ghost to bring peace and comfort to us in our darkest hours if we but turn to our Father in Heaven in prayer.
The good news is that is that He has said (Mark 5:34) "Daughter thy faith hath made thee whole."
"Come cast your burden on the Lord and trust his constant care...Why should this anxious load press down your weary mind? Haste to your Heavenly Father's throne and sweet refreshment find"(How Gentle God's Commands, Hymns,#125)
The good news is that I have found there is comfort and peace even in the midst of turmoil and I pray this family can find this to be true in their lives as well.